How to change alarm’s music/snooze/…?
All changes are done on alarm’s edition screen – open it by pressing chosen alarm on main screen. Most of preferences can be modified by pressing them – it will either show dialog window or expand the preference, revealing additional settings.
How to change alarm’s description?
Press alarm’s current description (or „Alarm’s description” text if none is set) on top of the edition screen, above alarm’s start time.
How to select Tasks and/or change days on which alarm repeats?
Both changes are done in alarm’s edition screen. Tasks are enabled by pressing their icons – selected ones will be highlighted, while rest is greyed out. It works the same way with days.
How to delete alarm?
There are few ways to delete alarm:
- on alarm’s edition screen – choose Delete from Options in top left corner of the screen
- on main screen – long-press chosen alarm and select Delete
- you can also delete multiple alarms at once on main screen, by choosing Group Modify from Menu and performing Delete
How to change tasks’ difficulty
Application comes with a few preset difficulties for each Task – you can select from them in each alarms’ preferences by expanding chosen Task’s preference. That way one alarm can have, for example, easy math settings, while other uses hard one.
For some Tasks you can also look up what each difficulty setting represents and modify them in Tasks Config available from Menu/Options in top left corner of the screen. Changes here will affect all alarms using modified difficulty.
I can’t run Quit Block test after reading instructions…
You probably didn’t read instructions carefully to the end – solution is available in the text.
What changes are you planning next?
There are a lot of ideas waiting to be implemented. Currently top priority is to translate application to number of languages. Further order of changes is not yet planned, but it includes:
- widget for launcher screen
- grouping alarms into folders
- improving app’s look and intuitiveness
- better layout for tablets
- instructions for basic functions in-app
- option to limit number of snoozes
- increased tasks’ difficulties with each snooze
- custom alarms’ order
- option to change app’s color theme
- improved notifications
- integrated barcodes scanner
- NFC for Barcodes Task
- improved timer
Could you add to I Can’t Wake Up option to …?
If your idea is not on the list above, feel free to share it with my by mail. This application from start was made for the users and many features came from ideas suggested by users
Alarm didn’t start
Usually there can be few explanations for that (find instructions for Android 9.0 at the end):
- most common cause is phone’s battery saving mode preventing app from „waking up the phone”. Location of this setting depends on phone and system version, however usually it can be found under phone’s Battery or Power Management Settings (sometimes located under Advanced Settings). At the settings screen look for any kind of „White-list”, „Don’t optimize list”, „Unmonitored Apps” etc. and add/enable I Can’t Wake Up to prevent system for stopping the app in the future. Reboot the phone afterwards.
- since Android 6.0 every phone has build-in battery saving feature called Doze. It has white-list as well, but it doesn’t completely „stop” Doze mode – only way to prevent it is to have enabled „Show system alarm icon” under app’s Menu→Settings→Appearance.
- you have some „battery saver” application that prevents alarm from starting – please check it and try adding my application on white-list to see if it helps.
- there’s a problem with a phone itself. When working for too long, its memory keeps storing old, uncleaned data which can cause different issues – even stock clock can fail with that. Clean your phone’s cache to prevent it. Or simply restart your phone every few days – it does wonders.
When none of above solutions work try the final IT solution for inexplicable problems and reinstall the application – sometimes it helps. Before reinstallation you can backup you data in app’s settings.
SOLUTION FOR ANDROID 9.0
Android 9.0 introduced very strict battery saving policies, which can impose severe restrictions on every application, including canceling or delaying alarm’s start up to 2 hours. System decides which applications to limit depending on unknown algorithms implemented by each phone manufacturer. Currently there are no solutions available for developers to implement, to make sure their app starts when it should, even for alarm applications. I will add such solution as soon as I find it.
Now only solution is to exclude application for battery optimization, however it has to be done manually by the user. Precise location of this setting differs between different phones, however from information I have gathered so far it seems they are located very „deep” inside settings of the phone, usually making it problematic to find them.
I will be collecting instructions for all the affected phones and posting them below. Generally there are two places to search for disable optimization setting:
1. Go to phone’s Settings->Applications, find „I Can’t Wake Up” and open it. At the shown screen look for settings like Battery or Optimization. They can be hidden under Advanced, Special Access or similarly named settings. After finding the setting you may be either allowed to change it „Don’t optimize” or similar directly, or you may be shown list of all applications installed and the phone. In the second case locate „I Can’t Wake Up” on the list and change its optimization setting there. In case you can’t find the app, make sure there is no filter enabled, usually called something like „Show optimized apps only”.
2. Go to phone’s Settings->Battery and look for options like „white list” or „don’t optimize”. Above option probably won’t be visible at first glance – it may require opening advanced menu, sometimes opened by pressing „cogwheel” or „three dots” icon. Add my application to the proper list.
I would really appreciate if you could send me a short note at firstname.lastname@example.org if disabling optimization doesn’t work for you, or if you can’t find it.
Also if your phone’s optimization setting’s location differs greatly from one described in above instructions, please write me where did you finally found it along with your phone model, so I can update FAQ with this information.
Music can to fail to play for numerous reasons. Alarm will try to handle them first by playing phone’s default ringtone and if that fails, by playing build-in beeping sound and enabling vibrations. Usually changing your chosen music source/file can fix further problems.
However in rare situations no music can be played at all – this problem comes from system itself and application is unable to prevent it. Only known fix is restarting phone from every few days to clear old data that accumulates with time and isn’t properly released. This issue is increasingly common on Android 7 devices.
Can’t open „Secondary Storage” when creating music playlist
It is caused by change in the way Android 6.0 and newer handle external memory storages. I am working on the fix for this problem.
I finished the alarm, but it starts again after few minutes
Do you by any chance have an Awake Test enabled for this alarm? Check this in alarm’s preferences. If you have it, then you may be just missing the Awake Test, effectively failing it, which in turn causes alarm’s start. Either disable Awake Test for that alarm or change Awake Test’s settings in Settings->Awake Test Settings, for example by enabling music, to make the Test more noticeable.
Alarm started at random time with error notification
I am still unsure what is causing it, but it is mostly connected to restarting/turning off the phone during alarm – if you do that, it can lead to errors. Potential solution is:
- reinstallation of the app
- or quicker app’s reset: backup all your data first at Menu->Settings->Other. Go to phone’s applications’ settings, find I Can’t Wake Up – force stop and clear data of the app. Restore data from backup
After that do not restart your phone during alarm or quit alarm in any other way except completing it in regular way.
I can’t scan codes for Barcode Task
My application doesn’t scan codes by itself – instead it uses Android’s mechanism of ‚asking’ other applications to do it for me. However recently some scanner applications ‚advertise’ as being able to scan, but actually cause error or do nothing if other app asks them to perform the scan.
Solution is simple – install other scanner application. I recommend Barcode Scanner from ZXing – that’s the one I test my app against.
In the future scanning will be integrated into I Can’t Wake Up! itself.
Headphones block option doesn’t work for me
I am aware of the problem on some devices with Android 5.0 and above. It should be fixed with next update of the application.
I am unable to uninstall the application
You have probably enabled Device Administrator for the app. It prevents application from being uninstalled. You can turn disable Device Administrator under Menu->Settings->Quit Block.
In case of any other bugs not mentioned above, please let me know about them by sending a log from app’s Menu->Settings->Contact. Short description about nature of the bug or screenshot, if bug results in layout problems, will help a lot with fixing it as well.